...think of it as your Asian American Studies TA lounge...

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Favorite Asian American Films?

I just watched Robot Stories on AZN Television for the second time. Even though I'm really not a sci-fi fan, there really is something empowering about seeing Asian American actors in films. My favorite AsAm movie is probably Better Luck Tomorrow, especially since it came out right as I was developing my Asian American consciousness. Other favorites include Saving Face and old-school films like Chan Is Missing and The Dupont Guy. And can't forget Spencer Nakasako's documentaries, as well as projects by my filmmaking friends Chris Woon and Tad Nakamura. Show them some love!

Discussion starter: What are YOUR favorite Asian American films?

2 comments:

Cynthia Ting said...

My all-time favorite at the moment is Saving Face, for many reasons but the Chin-glish is impeccable as well as the comments the various characters make.

I just recently saw "Pilgrimage" by Tad and it was definitely a well put together film with awesome stills. I'm glad that he's going to keep working on it to make it a little bit longer because it'll be a very valuable resource for younger generations to see.

punksarentdead said...

I have to admit that Better Luck Tomorrow and Charlotte Sometimes were a couple of mine.